Shaded by ponderosa pines, Kehl Springs Campground sits on top of one of the most beautiful geologic features in Arizona, the Mogollon Rim. Payson lies 15 miles due south from the campsite and the lights from the city are visible at night. There are only 8 campsites here and the road can be a little rough getting in, but the shady campground holds its own weight in solitude. There is no drinking water available so make sure to bring your own. The campground is on Rim Road or the General Crook Trail. The scenic drive is alone worth the trip.
This is a dispersed campground, there is no fee to camp here. You will need to bring your own water and need to Pack-It-In, Pack-It-Out. Kehl Springs is a first come first served campground. Reservations are not accepted.
From Flagstaff: Drive 50 miles south of Flagstaff on FH3 to Clints Well, then 9 miles southwest on AZ 87 to FR 300 (the General Crook Trail). Turn left (east) on FR300 and drive 6 miles to the campground.
From Payson: From Payson travel north on State Highway 87 29 miles to the Rim Road turnoff. Then travel east on Rim Road 6 miles to the campground.
- Elevation: 7420′
- Season: May to September
- Stay Limit: 14 Days
- No fee at this campground
- Campsites: 8 Dispersed
- Campsite tables, grills and rock fire rings
- No utility hookups
- Information: Mogollon Rim Ranger District 928-477-2255
- During Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, no campfires are allowed at this campground.
- Cutting or chopping live trees is prohibited.
- No trash service. Pack out your trash.
- No drinking water available
- Pets must always be restrained or on a leash.
- No horses allowed in the campground.
- Licensed off-road vehicles may be used only for entering or leaving campsite.