Just a few miles south of Prescott, Lower Wolf Creek Campground offers peaceful well spaced campsites. Fishing is available a few miles away at Goldwater lake. Nice hiking trails are available for those looking for some exercise either by foot or bike.
If you are looking for a group campground, check out Upper Wolf Creek Campground just west of Lower Wolf Creek Campground. There is a horseshoe pit and a volleyball court located at Upper Wolf Creek campgrounds. There is a 100 persons maximum at the group campsite along with a 30 vehicle max.
There are two principal access routes to the campground. Depending upon which route you choose, travel on an unpaved road will range from 1.25 to 5 miles.
From Prescott take the Senator Highway (Mt. Vernon Avenue) south for about 6 miles. You will pass the entrance to Goldwater Lake and the community of Groom Creek. The pavement will end about 500 feet before you reach Forest Road 97. Turn right onto Forest Road 97 and travel for another 1.25 miles to the campground on the left side of the road. Forest Road 97 is unpaved but is suitable for all vehicles during dry road conditions.
An alternate route from Prescott is to take U.S. Highway 89 (White Spar Road) south for about 6 miles to Forest Road 97. Turn left on Forest Road 97 and go for another 5.1 miles on graded dirt road to the campground.
- 20 campsites with picnic tables, and fire rings with grills
- No drinking water
- Vault toilets
- Elevation: 6000′
- Garbage service
- Quiet hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Campfires in developed fire pits only
- Fireworks are prohibited
- Dogs must be on leash (6′ maximum)
- OHV/ATV use prohibited in the campground
- Maximum length of stay: 14 days in 30-day period on the Prescott National Forest including stays at dispersed recreation sites.
- Maximum vehicle length: 22-40 feet