Benny Creek Campground is located just north of Bunch Reservoir and is within walking distance. This is a fantastic campground for those that don’t want the hustle bustle of a large campground and traffic in the area is relatively low. If you have trouble getting a campsite at the more popular Rolfe C. Hoyer campground this makes a great place to set up camp.
Fishing is excellent in the surrounding area. The “Greer Lakes” which include Bunch, River and Tunnel Reservoir are all well stocked with both rainbow and brown trout. The Little Colorado River creates all three lakes and is fish-able both above and below the Greer Lakes. This is a perfect campground to fish the Little Colorado river and you will have very little pressure on the river which is about a half mile to the east of the campground.
Benny Creek reservations are for the group site only.
Behind the end loop of the campground is a small beaver pond if you want to show your kids some local wildlife. You can spot the beavers swimming around by the V wake in the water.
Nearby in Greer, you can grab a fantastic meal at Molly Butlers Lodge.
For a great drive, head out from the campground onto the 373 and head south (left, towards Greer) go past Rolfe Hoyer Campground and take your next right on FR87 which will take you on a nice scenic ride over to the 273 at which point you can turn left to go to Cresent, Lee Valley and Big Lake or turn right and go over to Sunrise Lake.
From Greer: Head north on AZ 373 for 3 miles. Look for the the entrance which is marked by a small sign on the side of the road.
From Springerville: Travel west on hwy 260 for 12 miles(the Greer Exit) to AZ 373. Turn left and travel 2.5 miles to the campground entrance marked by a small sign on the side of the road.
- Elevation – 8250′
- Season – May – September. Varies by weather
- Stay Limit – 14 days
- Units 24
- Trailer Limit – 24′
- Access – Dirt
- Potable Water – Yes
- Showers – At nearby Rolfe Hoyer Campground
- Nearby Store in Greer
- Campsite Grills, Fire Rings and Tables
- Information – (928) 735-7313
- Dump Station available at nearby Rolfe Hoyer campground
- Bears frequent the area; please obey all food storage rules and regulations. Check with your host for details.
- Additional camping units will be charged an extra vehicle fee
- Don’t Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.